Bringing Sustainablity and Sensibility to the Royal Show
overall backyard plan, see picture at end of article for food forest detail
The backyard plan aims to introduce, inspire, and encourage the general public to make a sustainable and ecological lifestyle shift. Western Australia has the largest houses in the world per person, the highest water usage and poor waste management and reuse habits, but there is a change in the air.
We can all make a difference, and permaculture offers an excellent holistic model and design system to allow us to ” Inhabit the Earth forever”, in Jeff Lawtons, always succinct words.
EMRC’s will be presenting many talks also on reduction, reuse and recyling encouragement and tips and tricks.
This as a huge opportunity to show the public what permaculture is. Everyone is mad about all the buzz words but there is one group and thought process holding all this together in a working ethical, ecological system and that is Permaculture. Thanks Bill !!
So many of those trendy things have always been part of the Permaculture knowledge and tool set; organics, soils, solar passive, water, food security, whole food, living smart, community building etc, its always been there we just need to show people at event like this.
A wander around the yard will find you bumping into the following and more, and if you want more information on any of the topics, workshops or displays please head to the Permie Stand and have a chat, jump on the eNews and mail list and get involved.
- Garden Beds of many designs and effort cost based trade offs, including vegetables.
- 50 different Fruit Trees in a Food Forest demo (cheers Joe at Tass1Tree trees for everything) with garden integration and plant stacking techniques.
- Backyard Pond – Water food plants, frogs, Intergrated Pest management essential element.
- Soil Building – Organic methods, biodynamic tendancies, and simple info on how to grow soil with all the know how and Amendments on display
- Compost, Worm farm and chicken management of green waste.
- Bio Char – How to DIY – Demo Unit (drums)
- Yeomans Plow on display with contour based Keyline cultivation and swale system being installed for passive water harvesting and Contour Farming.
- Water Harvesting – Basics Demo Swale – Sunken plants – Rainwater – Grey Water
- Solar Panels – Solar cooking Oven – Solar Louvers etc – Solar Passive Posters or Demos
- Propagation Area – Techniques – Design – Seed Sourcing – Seed Saving
- Permaculture Urban and Rural Designs on Display – Related Texts
- Community Garden and Local Groups Display – Poster – Map of Perth.
- Chickens and Urban Livestock
- PermacultureWest Stand and promotion – Including peer associations OGAWA and other groups and affiliated ‘permie ethic’ business flyers etc.
Now if that can’t get you down to Royal Show nothing will! Royal show dates Saturday 1st October to 8th October. We will be in the Conservation and Landcare area, on the train station side.
food forest area